It is all about the sauce. If you have a good sauce you have everything. In this case, on the right moment I tried the final result of it I new I had to find a simple dish to go with it even though you can add it to almost everything: baked vegetables, veggie burguer, some kind of buddha bowl, a green salad or even as a dip with raw vegetables.
Even if you think the whole recipe is long or difficult, it is not. The only thing a bit more time consuming is the sauce, but only because you have to wait during the fermentation process so that makes you plan ahead of time. But it is so simple to make that you will be pleased, believe me.
The rest of the recipe is just roasting whole sweet potatoes, which is easyyyy and sauté the beans. As usual, I recommend you to make your own beans instead of buying them as it is much more convenient, satisfying and yes, cheap. You do a big batch one day, eat during the week in a stew and/or hummus like dip, and you freeze the rest in portions.
The lemon zest punch is very important to give the final dish all the contrast between sweet, salty, sourness and citric touch. I was reminded of that excellent touch eating a salad in my last trip to Barcelona at El Pot , an idea that I also used in this mediterranean salad.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I have to admit I can eat the sauce by the spoon…upppsss.
Ingredients (5 servings)
yogurt & coriander sauce:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
150 gr cashews
180 gr mineral water
1 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp probiotic powder
4 tbsp fresh coriander
1 small garlic clove
2 tbsp+1/2 tsp lemon juice
3/4 tsp sea salt
rest of ingredients::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
5 medium sweet potatoes (of similar size)
1/4 tsp sea salt
400 gr cooked & drained white beans
3 tbsp virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1/8 tsp ground cumin
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp lemon zest
1 tsp lemon juice
fresh coriander to decorate
2 bunches of rocket
- Two days and a half before you want to use the sauce, soak the cashews at least 8 hours in filtered water.
- Drain and blend them with the 180 gr of water, lemon zest and probiotic powder until creamy. Transfer to a cristal jar with lid and let it ferment at room temperature (around 20ºC) during 14-18 hours.
- Once fermented blend again with the rest of the ingredients: fresh chopped coriander, garlic, lemon juice and salt. Blend until very creamy and let it rest at least 6 hours in the fridge before consuming it.
- To make the whole dish, turn the oven on to 200 ºC.
- Wash and dry the sweet potatoes, put them in a pyrex like oven dish and spread some coconut oil over them with the 1/4 tsp of salt. Bake for approximately 40 minutes or until a knife crosses the inside without resistance.
- Meanwhile take of the seeds of the pomegranate, wash the rocket and get your plates ready.
- Grate the zest and make the lemon juice for the beans. Get all the spices ready and finely chop the fresh coriander.
- Five minutes before the sweet potatoes are ready, sauté the olive oil in low heat with garlic for a minute. Add the beans, cumin, black pepper and salt and cook for 4 more minutes until it is hot enough.
- Turn off the heat and add the lemon juice and zest.
- Take the sweet potatoes from the oven and cut each one in half without reaching the bottom. Transfer each one to the plates and opening them a bit, fill them with the beans.
- Drizzle some of the yogurt sauce on top of the beans and add some pomegranate seeds and chopped coriander.